Looking up from your IDE w/ Andrew Yasso @ Byte
October 24, 2020
On our first episode of the Senior Junior engineer I interview Andrew Yasso, a fellow DevPoint Labs bootcamp grad. We talk about Andrew's transition from bootcamp to his first company as a solo dev and then his transition to Byte, a small, high growth startup in Las Vegas. Along the way we talk about some key principles for growing as an engineer in today's crazy world;
- The importance of surrounding yourself with people you can learn from
- Diversifying your experience by learning languages/frameworks outside of your comfort zone
- It's about building things that matter to people, shifting from writing code for codes sake to focusing on how your work impacts the end user.
- What does it mean to be a "wise" engineer?
- Three biggest takeaways:
- Take care of yourself
- Act with humility & be willing to admit when you don't know something
- Be optimistic
Shout out to DevPoint Labs, thanks for helping us get started on this awesome journey.
Connect with Andrew on Twitter at @AndrewYasso or on LinkedIn